Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Lesser Known Star


Another late follow up ... In January my attention was captured - and haunted - by the story of a man found frozen to death in a Detroit warehouse. Specifically, it was the picture that stuck with me, one of the most subtly disturbing yet realistic pieces of photography I'd seen in years.

It's one of those things that will probably re-enter my mind from time to time from here on out, but tonight was the first that I thought to follow up on it. I discovered that just a few days later, this man was identified by his brother as one Johnnie, Johnnie Redding, of River Rouge. "But he wasn't homeless. Please don't call him homeless. He always had a place to go. He was loved."

Filed under worth remembering, and not just for the fact that a game of hockey was played around his corpse. R.I.P.

1 comment:

TJ said...

Thanks for checking out my blog man, it's great to hear that there are people out there besides my relatives that read it in its natural habitat (as opposed to the notes synced on facebook). How about that frozen Detroit bum, huh? Crazy shit happens down in the D, I'm just glad it wasn't me.

Take care man, keep up the good work!