Monday, November 15, 2010

Crosley, Score

Did I mention I've been collecting records again? I had a pretty decent vinyl collection going in high school, but I left it behind after moving West and it was all lost that first winter, when the parents' place was flooded and my basement room got destroyed. The only one to survive was Primus' Tales From The Punchbowl, which I later brought back with me to Vancouver, although I have no idea what happened to it.

Regardless, I've been building up a collection all through 2010, since my current house has a player in the living room. When that started to crap out recently, I began looking around for a new player for my bedroom.

I became enamored with a particular retro suitcase model built by Crosley, a company out of Kentucky. Despite hunting all weekend and asking on MetaFilter, I couldn't find anywhere in the city still selling them. Late last night I thought to check Sears' website, without much hope, and was pleasantly surprised - they don't carry the suitcase model, but did have the Archiver, and it even turned out to be on sale, saving me 50$. Fantastic piece of hardware - turntable, built-in speakers, tape deck, cd player, radio, and even a usb-port for ripping my vinyl to the comp.

Since I went on a record purchase frenzy in the past couple weeks, I'm now catching up on my listening. Seven albums in the past seven days:

-Minutemen, Double Nickels on the Dime
-Insect Trust, self-titled
-Insect Trust, Hoboken Saturday Night
-Beck, Stereopathetic Soul Manure
-Daniel Lanois, Shine
-Mice Parade, What It Means To Be Left Handed
-Do Make Say Think, Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn

No comments: