Monday, September 22, 2008

Judging A Book By Its Cover

Between the marathon still going on in the States and this little snappy sprint up here, seems the entire continent has a fever, to which the only prescription, is more voting. Bleh. It's a nasty, dreary, wrist-slitting topic - however, as I'm here just until early polls open and happen to be in my riding for the first time in three elections, I'mma give it a go. Get up in there.

So I had to review my knowledge of the national parties. The Undecided is a half (or maybe quarter) decent place to start but I found my mind wandering more towards a hatred of flash scripts than platform policies. So much for the Internet.

I've decided to take a step back and approach from a simpler perspective, and one I feel more comfortable with. Thinking about literary definitions.

Conservative Con*serv"a*tive, n.

1. One who, or that which, preserves from ruin, injury,
innovation, or radical change; a preserver; a conserver.

2. One who desires to maintain existing institutions and
customs; also, one who holds moderate opinions in
politics; -- opposed to revolutionary or radical.
[1913 Webster]


From my point of view this is a damn silly name for a major party. There's a lot wrong in society, the country and the world; the worst idea is that we should hold innovation and change back, or worse, roll it back to where it was in the past.

So, no Conservative.

Back to the Internet; I remembered reading an interesting piece about Danny Williams' ABC campaign in Newfoundland, which in turn led me to an article questioning the legality of online vote swapping.

So I still have a week and a half to decide, but I've been talking about swapping with a guy in Calgary, since he lives in Harper's Calgary riding. I'm looking at voting Liberal for him (it's a tight race here in Oakville but the Lib's usually beat the Con's) and he can put in a symbolic/funding vote for NDP or Green for me.

and PS - much as I like the concept, I effected this without the aid or use of Facebook .

No comments: