Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fibonacci & Hacking gReader

Just a quick couple of items of interest, both taken from lj-friends page:

The Use of Fibonacci Sequence in Tool's Lateralus:


What a great way of explaining this usage to the common reader (like humble ol'd me's). It is a great song too, has a couple of my favorite Maynard lyrics contained within:
"Push the envelope, watch it bend" -> I love lyrics that riff on tired old cliches and put them in a new perspective.
"Overthinking, overanalyzing" -> Even in a song so meticulously constructed, Maynard and Tool can't resist a tongue-in-cheek roast of themselves; their humour is one thing that keeps consistently above the rest of the prog/metal crowd.
I remember hearing an interview with Danny Carey a few years back where he talked about 46 & 2 using the sequence, but can't remember much about that. I'll have to look it up when I have more time.

Thanks to Veleda for that, and to Apollo ("FrozenTruth" on lj) for supplying me with a link to this 3rd party app that translates LiveJournal friends entries (including friends-only posts) into your Google Reader. I searched for something like this back when I set my Reader up and came up empty handed. So I can now save myself the trips to lj's site (they are, after all, slightly proprietary, though not quite as evil as, say, Microsoft) yet keep up with the few friends who still post reading-worthy entries there.

No comments: